Friday 24 January 2014

New Irish Act - Bold Things




Bold Things, 'Love the Bomb'


How pleasantly surprised was I when I got an email from these lovely chaps from Dundalk, Ireland, who are in the process of putting together their first release due in March of this year. Bold Things are best friends from Ireland who have been making music for years. With a fondness for eclecticism, sincerity and change; the four individuals have been exercising these commitments in bedrooms, balconies and bathrooms of London.

Jim from the band also sent me on the above video they recorded in Ireland when they were home for Christmas, shot by their close film-maker friend Claire Byrne. The song is 'Love The Bomb', a nod to Dr. Strangelove, and I think it's great having given it multiple listens since last night. It's a really nice number with equally strong contributions from all band members from the acoustic bass, piano, muted drum snare and of course guitar and vocals.

When visiting the bands website, http://boldthings.com/, I also came across a few more great tunes, and really enjoyed both the song and the video for 'Hearts Ajar' which reminded me of a mix of Achtung Baby era U2 and Interpol. On a personal level I'm currently enjoying this track a lot, but it's hard to compare the two given the live vs. recorded nature of each respectively.

Bold Things, 'Hearts Ajar'

I have to say I'm really looking forward to see how Bold Things' future recordings turn out and will be checking in on them regularly from now on, and with any luck will get a chance to catch them playing back in the old country at some stage! For now here's another track from the guys via Soundcloud, I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.