Info: It's a while since I've done a gig listing but there's so much on over the last 2 weeks in October that I'm going to put it all in one place here and will start doing them monthly from now on as November is already shaping up to be a busy month as well, thanks to the number of quality Irish acts we have at the moment, we're spoilt rotten frankly.
1) Cassette Store Day: First up is a Cassette Store Day special event at 12 Little Britain Street in Dublin 7 which runs from 1.30pm to 8pm this Saturday, 17th of October and has been organised by indie labels Popical Island and Little L Records. 'Celebrate the third annual 'Cassette Store Day' in the company of two of Ireland's finest indie labels that sometimes release things on tape. Bring coffee, cola, beer (or whatever the heck you like to drink) and enjoy some funtime pop music courtesy of Popical Island & Little L Records.
Admission is seven euro, but bring some extra pocket money if you wish to take away some souvenirs of the day - Little L Records have several special releases for Cassette Store Day, and both labels will be flogging odds & ends from the merch booth. Performances on the day will come courtesy of the excellent Mr. Rosso, Me and My Dog, Lie Ins, Tobi the Dog, NO MONSTER CLUB, Stephen Star and Oh Boland.
Mr. Rosso - This Is Not A Game (There Are No Winners)
2) Noxious Foxes: Fuzzy math rock from the USA arrives in Abner Browns Barbershop in Rathmines this Saturday, 17th of October, in the shape of Brooklyn duo Noxious Foxes. The event is limited to 40 people so it will be first come first served, get there on time around the 8pm mark to avoid disappointment.
Noxious Foxes - Roxious Soxes
3) Concrete Soup Presents: The monthly showcase from improv post-punk Dublin band ¡NO! presents German multi-instrumentalist Alfred 23 Harth and Japanese guitarist and daxophonist (yes, daxophone!) Kazuhisa Uchihashi at 38 Lower Ormond Quay upstairs in Tengu Izakaya (Yamamori). 'The eminent duo will perform upstairs on Saturday October 17th. The night will kick off with a duo performance by Gavin Prior and Shane Clear, followed by ¡NO!, and finally Harth/Uchihashi. Concrete Soup DJs will then take things into the dimming and beery small hours with sounds from a perpendicular universe!' The night of entertainment kicks off at 20:30pm and the full show and after-party is €12.
Alfred 23 Harth - Ich Grolle Nicht
4) Abandcalledboy: Suitors to the Northern Irish rock throne, Belfast's Abandcalledboy, play Sweeneys Bar on Dame Street on Monday, 19th of October before setting off on their U.K. tour for which they will be raising funds on the night, which is free entry. 'The show is FREE so you really have no excuse to miss it as we all know you've already got no plans. We will also have the bands done with enough time to grab the last bus. Donation buckets will be in the venue for those willing and able to get this band on the road.' Support comes from Facing and Bodies.
Abandcalledboy - L.A. Dick
Penrose - Melody
6) Monster Monster E.P. Launch: Guitarist Mick Stuart and singer Ríona Sally Hartman release their eagerly anticipated debut E.P. The City's Ours, having brought us a string of great singles over the last few months, Monster Monster hit upstairs in Whelans on Friday, 23rd of October, to celebrate the release with support on the night coming from emerging Dublin talent and artist Carly Coonagh. Doors are from 8pm and entry is €6 with tickets on sale here.
Monster Monster - You're My Fix
7) Interlude at the RHA: The Royal Hibernian Academy at Stephens Green plays host to a three day festival of music, film and art from the 23rd-25th of October. Music will come via Lasertom, Carriages and Little Xs For Eyes among others. 'The event will be spread between seven of the galleries impressive rooms, and outdoor courtyard. Featuring a live music room, club space, cabaret cinema, cocktail club, craft beer bar, vinyl room and pop-up restaurant, this event promises to fill your bank holiday calendar to the brim with something totally new to the city.' Tickets for the festival are available now from interludefestival.eventbrite.ie and start from €10. In addition, DJ’s playing INTERLUDE include Tom Middelton, Ashley Beedle, The Reflex, Justin Robertson, Get Down Edits, Keep Schtum, The Disconauts, Sam Kinsella, Craig Wrafter, Ruby Cube & Arveene with many more live acts and DJ’s still to be announced.
Carriages - Iron & Fire
8) Red Moon Bayonets present, Six Feet Below Halloween Party:
The Bello Bar is the perfect location for this event with it's dark yet elegant interior. Throughout the evening the atmosphere will be set with Horror movies projected onto the back wall while acts play, We will also have lots of surprises from beyond the grave. It's a fancy dress party so best dressed will have a spot prize at the end of the night!
This will be the only place to celebrate your Halloween weekend!
First act starts at 8pm sharp!!
Red Moon Bayonets - Bayonets
9) CC Brez Single Launch: Blues and funk maestro CC Brez returns to Whelans following his hugely successful and sold out E.P. launch back in June, this time he'll be presenting new single, 'When It Feels Good' with support from multi-instrumentalists Too Fools. The live show takes place on Halloween night, 31st of October with tickets available at Ticketmaster here for €12 which includes a free CD of the single.
CC Brez - When It Feels Good