Thursday 11 October 2012

1956 Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley



Elvis, 1968 performance

Info: Although far from Elvis' best album, it's a pretty solid debut. The album consists of 7 tracks recorded in early 1956, with the remainder coming from the scrapheap of his Sun Records songs from 1954, leading to a slightly lopsided album at times. Seen as the album that sparked mass interest in rock n' roll, following in the footsteps of the likes of Chuck Berry, teenagers were mesmerised by Elvis and bought the record in droves, remarkably, because at the time they were more inclined to buy 45's than LP's. Elvis Presley went on to become the first No.1 rock album in the US charts and made record company RCA millions. Key tracks include opener, "Blue Suede Shoes", "I'm Counting On You", the Ray Charles cover "I Got A Woman" and "Blue Moon", not to mention "Trying To Get You" (above). A point of interest also comes from the album cover, an iconic photo taken in Tampa, Florida in 1955 by William V. Robertson, which would be later copied by none other than The Clash for 1979's London Calling

Track Listing:

1. Blue Suede Shoes
2, I'm Counting On You
3. I Got A Woman
4. One-Sided Love Affair
5. I Love You Because
6. Just Because
7. Tutti Frutti
8. Trying To Get You
9. I'm Gonna Sit You Right Down (And Cry Over You)
10. I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')
11. Blue Moon
12. Money Honey