Friday 11 August 2017

Single: Drivelight - Obvious

Drivelight Obvious

Drivelight - Obvious

Info: Kildare-based indie-rock quartet Drivelight present themselves with a popular yet varied style of rock music courtesy of debut single 'Obvious'. There's a pop-punk edge surrounding everything, but it's very clear early doors that their self-admitted influence, The Arctic Monkeys, are shadowing much of what is happening. 

I recall when the Sheffield band scorched the Earth with their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not in 2006 and a year earlier announced themselves with 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor'. For no reason whatsoever I loved the single but never picked up the album, yet, their influence is pervasive in a good way here and abroad.

As a result I can hear strains of the aforementioned band, but the important thing for me here is the punk leanings and rapid hypertension of 'Obvious'. For a debut single Drivelight have done everything right in terms of an opening salvo, the breaks and guitar riffs are executed surgically. They can potentially become something bigger if they do two things, remember the sound and energy of this single, and veer off into something entirely of their own making, but all in good time.

Like / Listen & Follow: