Sunday 11 March 2018

Photos: Third Smoke @ Whelan's - 10th March, 2018

Third Smoke Whelan's

Third Smoke - Live @ Whelan's, 10th March

Photos: Remy Connolly

Info: Yes, what a night in Whelan's last night on the main stage for Third Smoke's headline show, dramatic, entertaining, electric, insert your synonym here. The night kicked off with fellow Dundalk act Nix Moon who I had only seen once before at the front bar at Whelan's Ones to Watch in 2016, they were amazing then, and amazing once again. Slicing through genres from funk, blues rock, rap and a delicious ska slant, I think the only one they didn't touch on was some EDM, but this did not detract from their set. It has happened before, but rarely do I see a front of stage packed for an opening act at 8.30pm on a Saturday night, it was heaving, and there was uninhibited dancing to their funky grooves, you could tell new fans were being made in real time by observing the hushed whispers and smiles in the crowd.

Up next was a band I've had the joy....of following for quite some time, actually the first gig I ever took a camera to was Oh Joy's (then The Journal's) show upstairs in The Workman's Club almost 3 years ago, I broke all the rules that night (still am), using flash like there was no tomorrow (see here), good times. There is no band like Oh Joy in Ireland, every time I see them I learn something new about what they're music is about, what they're aiming for, it's a step by step path but it's very interesting. Last night I had the biggest click yet, a thought popped into my head spontaneously during their set, there was a sense that they are a bit cutting edge in their delivery, not everyone is going to get it first time, and I think that's amazing, they could be our generation's Felt.

So to Third Smoke, I think maybe my fifth time seeing them live, possibly more, each show leaves its own mark, and there's always a temptation to say the most recent one was the best as it's fresh in the memory, but I'm going to plant my flag in the ground here and say last night was the best one I've seen. A classy opener with well executed build-up before they hit the stage and a theatrical start was underway. The switching of musicians between instruments (if you are applying for a job at Third Smoke your CV must contain 'multi-instrumentalist') kept the entire set fresh and engaging. The five-piece rammed through their set, and one thing I always enjoy about their sets is the heavy focus on percussion in all its forms, it makes the experience tribal and powerful. The crowd cried for 'one more tune', the band wanted it but alas, time restrictions, even when they had half of their gear removed from the stage the call for one more song went up again from the audience. It was packed to the rafters, it was sweaty, and it was my second stand-out gig experience of 2018 so far.

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Third Smoke - Whelan's

Oh Joy - Whelan's

Oh Joy - Whelan's

Oh Joy - Whelan's

Oh Joy - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's

Nix Moon - Whelan's